Safety and eligibility are two of the factors that impact pupil transportation decisions.
Our primary goal is to provide a safe and efficient trip to and from school on a daily basis. In order to ensure efficiency and safety, each student must be at their assigned bus stop ten minutes before scheduled pick up. As in the past, times are subject to change. Location of and distances between assigned bus stops are determined based on specific criteria and influenced by certain factors. Examples of the criteria are age of students and the special needs of students, which also may determine the type of route. Some of the factors that influence assigned bus stops are speed limits, presence of sidewalks, condition of roadways, availability of crossing guards, and isolation or remoteness of the student's residence. Calls concerning bus routes, stops, timing, etc., should be directed to the Transportation Coordinator, (732) 866-6810. If your child has a disability and needs temporary transportation, please call your principal.
Bus Stop Safety Reminders
- Stay back at least 10 feet from the road while waiting for the bus. Do not play games or run around at the bus stop.
- When you see the bus coming, form a line—do not rush to the roadway or push others to try to be the first on the bus.
- If you must cross in front of the bus, look at the driver for directions and cross in front of the crossing gate arm.
- Never walk behind the bus.
- Do not try to pick up something dropped near the bus—the bus driver may not see you. Ask the driver first.
- Have respect for others’ property at the bus stop and on the bus.
- We strongly recommend that younger students be supervised at the bus stop (coming and going) by a parent or other adult.
- Do not crowd the bus stop with personal vehicles. This poses a danger by obstructing traffic and blocking drivers’ views.
- Park all cars legally - 25 feet back from the intersection. Do not park in the wrong direction.
- Do not block the place that the bus makes its stop. Do not block the driveways of the property owners at the stop. Do not block walkways or mailboxes.
- Have students in an orderly straight line as the bus approaches.
- Have the students respect the homeowner’s property at the bus stop.
- Look carefully before allowing your child to exit your vehicle at the bus stop.
- Do not pull your vehicle directly behind a bus and release your child to run alongside the bus.
- Do not “chase” the bus from one stop to another. If your child misses the bus, please take your child directly to school.
- We strongly recommend that all students be at the assigned bus stop 10 minutes prior to the scheduled bus arrival.
- Check your child’s clothing to make sure it is safe – long, dangling drawstrings and straps, long scarves, loose clothing and oversized backpacks pose a safety hazard.
- We recommend that parents are at the bus stop to receive younger students in the afternoon.
- We recommend that parents give the bus driver written permission on who can receive their students at end of day.
- Students, who are regularly met by parents at the end of the day, will be returned to school if no one is at the bus stop to receive them.